22 Things I've Learned in My 22 Years1:38:00 PM
- Boys will forever and always be scary — When I was in high school, I was dating a guy and I saw him during the passing period and I RAN away. He was my boyfriend and I literally ran away because I was too nervous. I'd like to pretend that this ended in high school, but I'm still terrified of boys and will never get used to their existence or being complimented by them.
- I like my sleep — My current bedtime is about 8:45 PM and I don't see it getting any later. I don't even care if it's New Year's Eve. I'm pretty sure that I haven't pulled an all-nighter since middle-school sleepovers, and I have no intention of that changing.
- People are simultaneously the best and worst things — People will hurt you, but people will love you. And the love makes the hurt worth it.
Wise words from Kid President
- I 106.2% believe in Karma — When I was like twelve, I laughed at the fact that this lady from church's husband had bacne, and that is why I, too, as a grown woman, have bacne.
- I'm not cool enough to be catfished — Anytime I match with someone on Tinder that is actually good looking, I'm convinced they're a catfish. They never actually are, which is unfortunate because I would love to meet Nev and Max, but c'est la vie.
- I love having my picture taken and there's nothing wrong with that — I spent so so many years absolutely loathing myself, so yeah, if I look and feel good and want my best friend to photoshoot me for Instagram, it's gonna happen. And I don't care what you think about that!!!!
- It's hard to be a person — And you're allowed to think that. I know I sure do. Your feelings are real and valid. You can be sad. You can be angry. You can hurt. Just don't let yourself stay in those negative places forever, because that's when it becomes self-destructive.
- Even if you did nothing wrong, you should apologize — Just because you acted perfectly in a situation (which, let's be honest, you probably didn't), if someone still gets offended by something you do or say (regardless of your intentions), you should apologize to them.
- My secret, irrational love for Queen Latifah will only grow with time — This has been going on since middle school, but after her cameo on the Hamilton Mixtape, there was no turning back.
- You can graduate from college and still not know what you're doing with your life — Hello. I am living proof. I'm 22 and I still don't know what I want.
- It's fun to wear makeup, but it can also be fun to love yourself without it — Here's what I look like most of the time. No make up, acne, hair that probably should've been washed yesterday, and still smiling.
- Anyone can pull off bold lipstick colors — Wear lipstick. Trust me. It will change your life. Nothing will make you feel more powerful and confident than lipstick.
- Girl best friends are actually your soul mates — Boys are weird and have cooties and whenever I read that "According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves," I'm convinced that it is talking about me and one of my many best friend-soulmates.
- Privilege is real, and there are systemic barriers (whether intentional or not) that prevent some from advancing as far as others — White, straight men reading this: calm down. I'm not saying that you need to quit your accounting career and move to Africa to take care of black babies because of our nation's racist past, but what I am saying is that you need to acknowledge our nation had a racist past, and there are lingering effects today.
- I will never be as hip as Christian Bale in Newsies.
- I'm like 57% sure that me and Drake are gonna end up together — But I also never claimed to be good at math.
- Every single day is a new chance to change — You don't have to wait for the beginning of the year to set goals or be better. Do it now. If you were looking for a sign, take this as one.
- I hate bras — Not because I'm feminist, just because they're uncomfortable.
- Some things you will struggle with your whole life — I'm convinced no matter what medicine I'm on or how great of a therapist I have, depression will always be prevalent and real for me. That doesn't mean I'm going to give up, but I'm not going to pretend that things will get easier.
- I don't trust...people who don't have iPhones, men who wear rings (other than wedding rings, obviously), drivers who don't use their turn signal, and people who liked Frozen better than Tangled. But that's because I'm clearly very superficial in these respects. As the great Hannah Montana said, "Nobody's perfect."
- Love is what you put into it — I haven't always believed that love was a choice, but I now know that it is. You can choose to work at it, or you can give up. With some couples, working at it will be more difficult than with other couples. But regardless, it is a choice. And make sure you choose someone who will also choose you.
- There is no sadness that can't be cured with a good pun.